Meet the ten highly accomplished students who received MBA program scholarship awards for spring 2017:
- Stephen Boynton (Virginia Tech – BA in Economics) — "Choosing to pursue a MBA at Virginia Tech has been a phenomenal decision for my personal and career growth. Currently working in pricing and project control for a small business, the MBA program has allowed me to supplement my real-world working experience with a strong foundation of business knowledge. Virginia Tech's network of alumni as well as the opportunity that the program provides for networking with peers provide invaluable tools for students to utilize in order to help further their careers. Go Hokies."
- Gowtam Chirluri (University of North Carolina at Wilmington – BS Business Administration) — "The MBA program at Virginia Tech has been a rewarding experience. I have appreciated the accessibility to a DMV campus and convenience of scheduling my classes so that I can continue working full-time. In addition, the curriculum has provided me with a strong foundation in core management, leadership, and finance principles, which have resulted in valuable benefits when applied at my job. "
- Cara Fishman (Virginia Tech – MS Systems Engineering; University of Michigan – BA Sport Management) — "Virginia Tech’s Evening MBA program has given me the strategic perspective necessary to lead well in the workplace. The Evening MBA offers personalized flexibility without compromising on intellectual rigor. I am grateful for the experiences I have had at Virginia Tech and proud to be a part of this academic community."
- Tobias Planert (University of Passau – International Business and Cultural Studies) — "Working for a small start-up company in the electrical utility market I decided to enhance my skills through the Evening MBA Program to help me in my effort to grow the business and expand our manufacturing capability. It has been a great decision - now only in the second semester, I can already say that the classes have helped me gain valuable new insights. I thoroughly enjoy making new connections with other students and teachers, and learn about their professional backgrounds. The program is very well taught and administered, and it remains small enough to be personal."
- Meghan Pope (Syracuse University- MA in Advertising; James Madison University – BS in Media Art and Design, BS in Communication, Minor in Film Studies) — "The Virginia Tech MBA program is helping me achieve my professional goals by providing me with core business knowledge as I shift careers from Marketing to Finance. The courses help me to develop as a business professional and a leader while also creating opportunities to network with professors, mentors, peers and alumni. In addition, the flexibility of the program allows me to juggle a full-time job and my family life with two children while still pursuing my degree."
- Farzana Rahman (Cornell University – AB Biology & Psychology; Northeastern University – BS in Pharmacy) — "The Virginia Tech Evening MBA program has been amazing. Choosing to go back to the classroom after so many years was a difficult and scary decision but the collaborative and intellectually challenging environment has made it worthwhile and exciting."
- Bryon Russell (Virginia Tech – BS in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise) — "The VA Tech MBA Program has allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and gain invaluable knowledge in areas of business which I had no prior experience. The diverse course load I’ve taken has provided me countless insights as to how I can be a more informed decision maker, better problem solver and stronger leader. The last three years have offered me tremendous personal and professional growth and I have no doubt that VA Tech’s holistic approach to teaching business and management has broadened my competency as a manager and better positioned me for business success in the future."
- Aashish Raj Simha (University of Maryland - M.Eng. Computer Engineering and Purdue University - B.S. Computer Engineering) "The Virginia Tech Evening MBA program will supplement my engineering education and broaden my skills. I wish to use my new found skills to take up leadership roles within my organization and drive innovation and growth. I am sure an MBA from Virginia Tech will help me achieve my professional goals."
- Sarah Walker – (University of Missouri- BS in Business Administration) — "Virginia Tech hit all the wants and needs for my graduate education: Nationally ranked part-time MBA program, flexibility for evening courses to enable me to continue working full-time, and access to a large local alumni community. Additionally, the University’s mission of "quality, innovation, and results" align perfectly to what I wish to accomplish with the program."
- Esha Zaman (Virginia Tech – BS in Business, Accounting & Finance) — "The VA Tech Evening MBA program is a great fit for me because it not only accommodates my work schedule but it has provided me with a great opportunity to enhance my technical and professional skills. I am able to build a long lasting and impactful network with the professors and my fellow classmates while learning in a friendly environment."
Meet the four highly accomplished students who received MBA program scholarship awards for fall 2016:
Joey Lauffer (James Madison University- BA Political Science) — "The MBA program at Virginia Tech has done a great job enhancing the skills I have developed in the Defense Contracting Industry as a Project Manager. As a manager who prides himself on knowing as much as possible to be prepared and effective, many classes such as finance, accounting, operations and DSS especially helped sharpen my skills. The application of the curriculum to my career has lived up to the hype, and I look forward to taking things to the next level once I graduate in May. LET’S GO! HOKIES!"
Swapna Lele (Birla Institute of Technology and Science – MS Chemistry, BS Electrical Engineering) — "Joining the Evening MBA program has been one of the best decisions of my life. The MBA setting has helped me to put the “entrepreneur” hat on and be comfortable in it. Running my IT startup comes with its unique set of challenges that I try to meet to the best of my ability, and with the empowering skills and tools that I gather and practice from my MBA courses at Virginia Tech."
Syed Tariq Mansoor (NED University of Engineering and Technology – BE Computer Systems Engineering) — "VT Evening MBA is a breath of fresh air in my professional and personal life. It's competitive learning environment, effective administration and great faculty not only have given me the ability to remain committed to my studies but also have provided me with an opportunity to take my career to the next level."
Steven Paska (George Mason University- BS Civil Engineering) — "Choosing to pursue a MBA at Virginia Tech is proving to be a hugely beneficial decision for taking my career to the next level. As a licensed civil engineer, the MBA program has allowed me to supplement my technical experience with a strong business foundation. Virginia Tech's network of alumni and mentoring program has already proven a valuable tool for advancing my career."
Meet the seven highly accomplished students who received MBA program scholarship awards for spring 2016:
David (Michigan Technological University – BS Mechanical Engineer, VT MBA Candidate) — "The Pamplin College of Business is known for expertise and accomplishments in business intelligence/analytics and one of the driving reasons why I chose to apply for acceptance to the MBA program. My job entails using performance data to inform management decisions in areas such as: organization, scheduling, budgeting, accounting, predictive analysis, and change control. My experience with the MBA program to date gives me assurance that my skillset will be greatly enhanced upon completion of the MBA program at Virginia Tech."
Greg (University of Notre Dame - B.B.A Management Information Systems, VT MBA Candidate) — "The Virginia Tech Evening MBA program has allowed me to continue to work full time while pursuing a graduate degree. My experience managing cyber security Research & Development efforts for the federal government has provided me the skills to identify promising technologies, create and execute program schedules, and manage successful research projects. My education from the VT MBA program will provide me with the experience and knowledge to help transition those research projects into viable technology products that can be commercialized or spun into a successful business."
Justin (Embrey-Riddle – BS Aerospace Engineering, USC – MS Astronautical Engineering, VT MBA Candidate) — "Virginia Tech’s MBA program has been helping me broaden my horizons and take a more holistic view of the business world. As an engineer, I haven’t always had the insight needed to understand why business decisions are made that differ from the most sound technical decision, so being within this program has helped me better understand these concerns and perform better today in my technical role. Going abroad to India has helped me better understand the difficulties developing countries face, and better appreciate their achievements within the aerospace sector where I work. These experiences and my education at Virginia Tech are helping me perform better in my role right now, and prepare me to advance in my career in a globally competitive environment."
Kevin (University of Texas at Austin - BS Electrical Engineering, VT MBA Candidate) — "The VT MBA program has given me a deeper appreciation for the scope and ideals of successful management in an ever-changing world. The program continuously challenges me to embrace stepping out of my comfort zone to become a more confident and knowledgeable peer and leader. I am certain that what I learn here will pay dividends for the rest of my career in intellectual property."
Len (Rowan University – BS Accounting, VT MBA Candidate) — "I couldn’t be happier with my decision to attend Virginia Tech at the National Capital Region. The Evening MBA program is perfectly designed for individuals like me that want to further their education while still being committed to their career. I look forward to the opportunities that will be available to me after graduating from such a highly ranked school."
Natalie (College of William & Mary – Psychology, VT MBA Candidate)— "The study abroad trip through the MBA program was an experience of a lifetime. Going to both India and Dubai and seeing the similarities and differences between the two countries themselves and the United States was extremely educational. Learning about the nuances of each state/country, their history, or lack thereof, and their unique culture was tremendously valuable and will continue to be valuable throughout my professional career. The experience opened up new areas of opportunities that I was not previously aware of and now, will most certainly tap into in the future."
Peter (California Institute of Technology – BS Electrical Engineering, VT MBA Candidate) — "What drove me to choose the Evening MBA program is the flexibility it offers. Both the flexibility to adjust my course load to accommodate work commitments and the flexibility to tailor the MBA to meet my personal needs. The large number of electives has allowed me to focus on my area of interest (technology entrepreneurship) and still participate in some of the unique opportunities of the program, like the study abroad trips."
Meet the four highly accomplished students who received MBA program scholarship awards for fall 2015:
Brenden (Penn State – B.S. Information Sciences & Technology, VT MBA Candidate Spring 2017) — “The Virginia Tech MBA program has allowed me to continue working full-time during the day while furthering my education at night. I have been able to apply the IT and business skills from class into my work, allowing me to further my career from day one.”
Mahsa (University of Missouri – Rolla B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland M.S. Electrical Engineering, new VT MBA Candidate) — "As an engineer in the position of a Research and Development Manager, I have learned how to transform laboratory experiments into manufacturable technologies. However, I have realized that scalability and manufacturing are only one side of product development, and that an understanding of the business side is what is necessary to make technology accessible to the public. My MBA education will compliment my technical training and teach me how to approach product development more holistically, with insight into the entire process from inception through sale."
Mark (Virginia Tech B.S. Industrial & Systems Engineering, VT MBA Candidate Spring 2016) — “As a Strategy Consultant and Manager with Deloitte Consulting, the Virginia Tech MBA program has helped me to gain a more holistic understanding of business organizations across people, process, and technology. It has increased my repertoire of proven methods and techniques to help address common client challenges in strategy and operations. Personally, it has also helped me to become a more informed financial investor.”
Paula (Tulane University B.A. Slavic Languages, new VT MBA candidate) — "As a non-profit leader, the VT Evening MBA is preparing me to create a larger impact for the greater good with first-rate education on timely topics including data analytics, business ethics and marketing. At the conclusion of the program, I will be a more informed citizen - and a more attractive candidate in the increasingly competitive job market."